Following in suit with my latest Montessori Posts, I wanted to delve into a website that gave great ideas on setting up that “prepared environment“! I decided to share some of the great posts that I have read from a newly discovered blog- Montessori Mum! She awarded me with my second award that I will post about later- so in return I will share with you what I have learned through reading how she implements Montessori with her toddler!
Some Great Ideas from Montessori Mum:
- labeling clothing drawers with picture cards– a great step in giving little ones the ability to choose outfits! This post is small steps towards independence- and that is exactly what you are giving your child! She also suggests having your child do as much as she can in the dressing process- if its just pulling her head out of her shirt or putting her shoes in the correct place, it is still something!
- a great twist on child size table and chair– Montessori Mum found a breakfast tray for the table and a step stool for the chair at Ikea for a great price! I recently got the step stool from my mom and hadn’t thought of using it as a chair (she still can’t reach the sink even with it’s aide)
- making your home more accessible to your little one– check out this post for some great ideas around the house to bring the big tall world of us adults down to fit their needs. She shows options throughout her house. I just love that her little one has her own dish cupboard… very cute!
- another post about the Montessori environment throughout her house– this time she delves into the kitchen and bathroom areas! Well I am just grateful that she is willing to post her pics because it is really giving me some great ideas! My favorite part of this post- the little kitchen table for prep work. I also like that she is going to hang hooks for her hats- it made me think that maybe we could hang some of those really sturdy plastic hooks with the sticky tape… I can’t think of what they are called… anyway , they are pretty strong and supposedly come off easy. We could hang some inside our coat closet on the door so she can hang up her jacket by herself! Just a random thought!
- last, but definitely not least, you need to check out the pics of her adorable little Montessori area for her daughter. It is so warm and inviting and next to lots of natural lighting… it’s beautiful! As you look around the room you will see the open shelving, child size table and chair, and a bright little nature area.
Please take the time to check out this site! And look for more of my Montessori posts coming in the future… I really am going on quite the educational adventure! (Literally, too- I chased my playful daughter around the library just so I could get two fabulous Montessori books!)
This award is given to a blog that invests and believes in PROXIMITY – nearness in space, time and relationships! These blogs are exceedingly charming. These kind of bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in prizes or self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers!
for helping me learn so much about mommy school Teaching Tiny Tots
for amazing hairstyles with great explanations: Jackie and Kassie’s Sweet Hair Do’s
for a creative family blog with great photographs and day to day experiences: Five For Life
for keeping the relationship of a lost son close to our hearts In Remembrance of Taylor